Thursday, February 28, 2008
6:30 PM
World Team Table Tennis Championships - Women's Team Achieve Top 4 Positions
It was a unique game indeed, despite Singapore winning 3-0.

Li Jia Wei gave Singapore the perfect start by beating Elena Timina, a player who has endeared herself to the crowd, by falling on the floor, sinking to her knees or performing somersaults at the end of a long point.

Li Jia Wei was well aware of the style of play that she may have to face with both Elena Timina and Li Jie being defenders. “I thought I would have to play a backspin player, so before the match I practised against defence”, explained Li Jia Wei. “I was well prepared, I think because I prepared so well, I deserved to win.”

It was a tough contest against Elena Timina, it’s always a tough contest against Elena Timina but Li Jia Wei prevailed and she gave Singapore the start that led to victory and of course a semi-final place.

A good start for Singapore, Feng Tianwei capitalised on the situation with a five games win over Lia Jiao leaving Wang Yue Gu with the task of completing the job. She did rather more easily than ever anticipated.

“I lost the first two games against Li Jiao and then in the third I was down 4-6; it was a real struggle to come back from there”, said Feng Tianwei. “I just tried to play one point at a time, I had to fight myself!”

She fought, she recovered and she succeeded.

However, it was a sad end to the contest with Wang Yue Gu leading in the opening game 5-3 when Li Jie twisted her ankle. Wang helped Li Jie back to her sit, and both sets of players left the arena quietly.

Our female team is now assured of a medal, the colour has to decided.




please contact us at sttnews@live.com.sg for any suggestions or enquires