Friday, August 22, 2008
9:21 PM
2008 Beijing Olympic Games - So Near Yet So Far!

Once again, the bronze medal was so near yet so far. Women's Team Captain Li Jia Wei lost to China's Guo Yue in the Bronze Medal playoff, and settled for 4th position once again!

Earlier on, Li lost to Defending Champion and World No. 1, China's Zhang Yining, 4-1.

Guo, ranked No. 2 in the world, struggled at times against Li, the world's sixth-ranked player. The match featured many fast rallies, with Guo overpowering her opponent with blistering topspin shots to the corners. Li lost the 1st game, 11-6, and in the 2nd game, she was leading in before faltering 13-11. However, Li levelled the score with 2 wins in the 3rd and 4th game, 11-9 and 11-7 respectively. Guo showed no lenency as she took the next 2 in style. Guo won 11-3, 11-4.

In the interview after her lost against Guo Yue, Li mentioned "My performance was still alright but I lost. It was my last match today and I really wanted to win a new medal for Singapore. I am very sad. Singapore cheered for me. But I gave my all."

Despite having to settle for 4th position, Li is the best performed Sportswoman in the Olympics!




please contact us at sttnews@live.com.sg for any suggestions or enquires